hospitality technology made simple by kevin sturm Consulting

remember the names

I'm terrible at it. Absolutely horrible. When I meet someone it is almost for certain that 10 seconds later I can't remember their name. I know it is one of my worst traits and I hate it about myself.
Image provided by ArstySF
It is important to remember someone's name for many reasons, but I think the most important is because it shows you care.

As I was trying to find a parking place at Church today I saw my new friend Dave. I rolled the window down to say hello. He came over and said, "Hey Kevin," and then looked in the back and said "Hey Brody, gimme five." Dave had never met my son Brody. He had heard about him during a recent ski trip we both went on, but never met him. He cared enough to not only remember my name but to remember Brody's name. He knew Brody was really important to me and it showed that he cared about that. I immediately felt like I was important to Dave...which made me feel great.

Caring like this translates well into the world of consulting. Consultants are contracted based on experience, knowledge, and skills. But most likely your experience, knowledge, and skills are not completely unique. The client can hire someone else. If experience, knowledge, and skills are equal then what makes you different?

Caring about the success of the project is paramount. But when the project is finished and over, I think it is caring about the people you interacted with that brings additional projects to the table.

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

4 comments:

Andy said...

Hey Harry, Tell your wife Emily and your son Broxton that I say hello.

Actually Kevin, I want you to know that I admire you in so many different ways. You possess traits and skills that are outside of my personality, that I wish I was capable of.

I admire you and am envious of you in so many ways.

Brendan said...

Wive's names are important too....I have switched from always just saying "my wife" in a conversation and saying, "Kendra, my wife,...." Mentioning the names of the people important to you shows that you want that person to know you at a personal level. That in itself is the important other side to needing to be able to remember a name.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you liked my "remember" stone photograph enough to upload it to your blog.

Cheers!

ArtsySF

Kevin Sturm said...

And thanks for image ArtsySF, and for commenting. Flickr is one of my favorite places to look for images.

I will keep using your photos when they apply if you are okay with it.