hospitality technology made simple by kevin sturm Consulting

get networked!

"Your network is your net worth."

This is a quote from Tim Sanders book Love is the Killer App. I've been working on actively building my network recently...it's hard!

When you see it in a book, and talk to people about it, it seems easy. But what I'm realizing as I go through this process is Tim means more than just getting connected with all the people you know. I've been working on building my network with people I trust, share passions with, and feel that I can help me and that I can help. And that's the hard part, because the helping them has to come before the helping me.

I'm selfish. There, I'm said it. I want to know what's in it for me.

When adding people into my network, the best way to have them become a part of my network is by first giving of myself in some way...and that takes work. I'm already busy with work, with family, with fixing up the house, and living life in general...so it's hard. But I'm also finding that it's worth it, because it really does generate a return. Recently the people in my network have been sharing new ideas with me, and giving back.

One of the recent examples of this was feedback that was posted on my LinkedIn profile (I was working on my profile this week because of entry on Guy Kawasaki's blog about giving your LinkedIn profile an extreme makeover). As I was making over my profile, I asked two people that I respect to provide a recommendation. Not only did they do it within the same day, but it was a glowing recommendation that I may actually not deserve.

Here are both of them:


Karl and Ken are two people I respect highly, and value their opinion and insight. So these are both recommendations that I am really grateful for.

Yo, Get Networked!

Digg Technorati Delicious StumbleUpon Reddit BlinkList Furl Mixx Facebook Google Bookmark Yahoo

1 comments:

Mary-Louise Boyd said...

I work for Guy Kawasaki, and I would like to thank you for your comments about Guy and his LinkedIn posting!

Mary-Louise
Online Assistant

http://blog.guykawasaki.com/